About Eyemouth Marine
Boats have been built and repaired at Brownsbank for about 190 years since James Tate, who was also the harbour master, bought land at Brownsbank. Previous to this, boats were built on the beach. On 29 March 1827 the first boat, ‘The Good Design’ was launched from the new yard. The yard was sold to James Weatherhead who built wooden hulled fishing vessels. It is said that he pioneered the construction methods which created an innovative closed deck fishing boat design for the boats he built. This eventually became the standard for the Scottish fishing fleet.
The Boatyard continued to be a family run business for over 100 years until a major flood at the Eyemouth facility caused cash flow difficulties, resulting in the sale of the boatyard to the cousins, William Weatherhead & Sons Ltd of Cockenzie in 1946.
The yard was sold again in 1960 to George Hepburn who built 39 boats during their 8 years of ownership, then bought by Eyemouth Boat Building Co who built 52 boats between 1968 and 1990. In 1990 the Boatyard was sold again to William Meldrum as Coastal Marine Boatbuilders Ltd, he resigned in 2001 and was succeeded by Andrew Thornhill. Coastal Marine Boatbuilders Ltd continued the long standing tradition of boat building in Eyemouth until 2008, when the Annie, the last Eyemouth built steel hulled fishing boat, made her maiden voyage down the cut. A separate facility was built for production of Off-shore Energy support vessels.
Since 1841, the boatyard has built over 350 vessels and undergone many changes in ownership. In 2017, the owners of the Boatyard and Boat building facility were declared bankrupt, leaving the yard facing closure with the loss of 16 jobs and leaving the Fishing fleet on the South East Coast of Scotland without a repair yard. This was not an option that Eyemouth could accept, and on 18th July 2017, a buyer was found for the Repair & Service yard at Brownsbank and Eyemouth Marine Limited was launched.